Cross country car transport means shipping your vehicle from one end of the country to another. It usually spans 2,000+ miles from west to east, and around 1,500 miles from south to north in the US. Some common reasons for cross-country car transport are –
- Military relocation
- Snowbirding [moving from cold to warm climate during winter]
- Moving to college
- Car bought from another state
- Enter classic car show
- Migrating for a job
- Moving to a new home
- Moving classic
Ship a Car, Inc. is a leading provider of vehicle shipping services. They offer services to a wide customer base located across the US. Visit their website to gain instant car shipping quotes or give their office a call. Below are some out of state auto transport tips that can help you calculate the shipping cost.
Average out-of-state car shipping cost
Shipping cost depends on the car’s make, model, and auto transport method you choose. On average, the cross-country car shipping cost will be around $600 – $4,100. Shipping cost also gets influenced by delivery time and distance.
- In winter -The shipment may get delayed because of snow and less daylight. In December, 80% of drivers are on a holiday, so finding a suitable one may not be possible. January is a busy time for movers, so rates are high. February is slow and you can grab cheap deals.
- In spring – In March the rates are low until its end and as months start getting warm the rates increase. In April and May, the rates escalate.
- In summer – Demand skyrockets in summer as people go on vacation, schools are closed, and employees move to new offices. Rates are high, but with tough competition, you may grab a good deal.
- In fall – The car shipping bookings go down, so the rates dampen, but increase in September when the college opens. In October and November, the rates go down.
It can take 5 to 14 days in shipping cars from east to west. It takes 3 to 8 days in transporting a car from south to north. For fast or certain date delivery you will need to pay more against shipping costs. Be flexible to attain a better deal.
Another point to remember is, as distance increases the per-mile cost decreases. If the distance is longer you can end up saving some shipping costs and expenditure.
Open and enclosed transport trucks are two kinds to choose from. The former method exposes cars to debris and weather damages. The latter is for classic and high-end cars. The open method is inexpensive but for cross country, the latter is recommended.
Search for discounts
Different kinds of discounts you need to look for are –
- Students’ discounts
- First-time shippers
- Military discounts
- Senior discounts
- Return customers
- First responders
- Vehicle fleets
- Early bird
Shipping a car out of state seems expensive at first but if you prefer DIY driving then the cost of fuel, lodging, or potential car repairs can ultimately add up.